Humphreys Peak, Flagstaff, AZ

Humphreys Peak, Flagstaff, AZ
Base meadow at Humphrey's Peak

Friday, December 30, 2011

Hike #3 - Summit Trail at Piestewa Peak formerly Squaw Peak



This trail is closest to my house (5 min.!) and one of the trails I hike more frequently. I have used this trail to train for Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon and also the Inca Trail. The distance is 1.2 miles to the summit with an elevation gain of 1200'. It is crowded with a lot of "regulars". One man I noticed going up a second time said he usually does it 6 times in one day! About 5 years ago, I was hiking in this area in the early morning just before the sun was up and I came within one step of a rattle snake! Thankfully it rattled it's tail and I stepped back until he passed. I have also seen coyotes, bats, owls, quail, shooting stars and beautiful cactus blooms in the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment