Humphreys Peak, Flagstaff, AZ

Humphreys Peak, Flagstaff, AZ
Base meadow at Humphrey's Peak

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hike #18 - Echo Canyon @ Camelback Mountain, Phoenix, AZ








Camelback Mountain is a landmark in the center of Phoenix and close to where I live. I have hiked this mountain several times over the past 26 years that I have lived here. "It gets it's name as it depicts a gigantic symbol of a resting camel that constantly gazes the beauty from high above the Phoenix horizon." (http://www.phoenixasap.com/camelback-mountain.html) The summit of the trail is at 2,700' and over 300,000 people hike it every year. One man I have seen each time I hike, climbs it 3 times per day! Parking is very limited here so I purposely hiked during the week so I didn't have to walk a mile to the trailhead. The trail is 1.2 miles one way with an elevation gain of 1,200' and considered strenuous due to steep areas. This is one of the most beautiful and scenic trails in Arizona!

No comments:

Post a Comment